Sep 29, 2009

Does Material of Drinking Vessel Affect Taste?

I often hear that they discuss influence on the taste of sake by the shape of sake drinking vessels. So, I tasted the same sake with a wine glass and ordinary sake cup for comparison. I experienced difference in taste between the two different receptacles actually (see "Using a Wine Glass for Sake").

Then, what about the difference of material? Does the material of a drinking vessel affect the taste of sake? Let's see whether it does or not in an actual experiment.

This time, I used two cups that were somehow similar in shape but different in material. One was an earthenware cup, and the other, a porcelain cup. The earthenware cup was glazed only partly and looked porous in most parts, so I guessed it absorbs sake in itself. Minerals or some components contained in the material may affect the taste. The porcelain cup is a small sake tasting cup with indigo color circles in it.


Frankly, I couldn't discern the difference in taste or aroma.

This time, I drank the sake soon after I poured it into the cups. Maybe, waiting for drinking for a while may cause change in taste or aroma. Also, if I had drunk it at a room temperature, I might have been able to discern subtle difference in flavor. So, next time, I will pour some sake into these two cups and leave them for half a day at a room temperature.


Today's Sake
Junmai Ginjo Yamahai Hiyaoroshi Yamazaru Muroka Genshu (Nagayama Shuzo)
This sake does not exhibit the characteristic flavor of yamahai sake very much. However, it has richness resulting from its aging and its acid and roughness that remind me some type of fruit such as an apricot are refreshing.
Rice used: Yamadanishiki
Seimaibuai: 60%
Alcohol: 18 - 19%

No comments: