Feb 5, 2009

Let's Gulp Down Local Low-priced Sake!

Of course, premium sakes like ginjo and daiginjo sakes taste nice, but regular sakes, which are not tokuteimeishoshu (special designation sake), go well with daily dinner. You can gulp such sake with your food.

It is fun to feel easy, watching TV, and chat with your family, while shoveling food into your mouth and washing it down with cheap sake. It doesn't sound elegant? Maybe. However, this is my style of drinking cheap sake, and I think this is quite a good way to enjoy regular sake. No, in this case, I am enjoying something other than sake, which is a second fiddle.

I drink almost everyday, and can't afford expensive special designation sakes. If you want to drink much, I recommend you to drink sakes that are priced at 1,800 yen or lower for 1.8-litter bottle. I think eating dinner with watching TV and drinking cheap sake is fun. When I get slightly drunk, I feel sleepy and fall into a doze, and the TV is broadcasting a popular samurai drama, of which I usually miss a large part since I wake up before five minutes it ends. Well, it's OK.

Lately, I often drink sakes below. These are sold in nearby liquor shops and are from sake breweries in the cities in my vicinity.



-- Left: Kasen Josen (Tamura Shuzoujou); Right: Sawanoi Godanjikomi (Ozawa Brewery) --

I think this is a kind of happiness to drink cheap sake from local breweries laughing with having no worries without mentioning the seimaibuai, sake meter value, acidity, or other parameters.

One guy from a brewery once said:
"I am aiming at making sake which people can enjoy it in a relaxed atmosphere without paying attention to details of flavor and aroma. It is like such sake that people will suddenly find its bottle being laid in front of them because they have been enjoying too much to think of how much they have drunk."
Lately, I often ponder the meaning of these significantly meaningful words.


Today's Sake
Juemon Junmai Muroka Genshu (Toshimaya Syuzou)
This sake is slightly acid and having a trace of astringent taste. It gives me strong impression.
Rice used: Hattan-nishiki
Seimaibuai: koji 55%、kake 60%
Alcohol: 17 - 18%
Sake meter value: (+)3.5
Acidity: 1.6

No comments: